neonDragon.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why we drive so darn good.

+12
Lamk0^
Magicman
LuminCoB
SultaN
QuickSilver
KoD
MagnusGladius
Mizurri
hazik666
Necro
Marksel
SuomiKukka
16 posters

Go down

Why we drive so darn good. Empty Why we drive so darn good.

Post by SuomiKukka Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:35 am

Lewis Hamilton's new team-mate, Heikki Kovalainen, could barely reach the pedals when he first drove a car in the fields and lanes around his house in the Finnish countryside.

Kovalainen would spend hours thrashing around "on the back roads or farm roads," as he puts it, "not legally, but quietly in the middle of the night when there were no police around", learning the skills he now puts into practice on race tracks around the world.

The former Ferrari driver Mika Salo and the one-time Benetton man JJ Lehto - both brought up near Helsinki, 400 miles from Kovalainen's home close to the border with Lapland - had similar boyhood experiences.

This is part of the secret of why Finland, a country of just 5.3 million people and 77 billion trees, has produced more formula one world champions per capita than anywhere else.

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen, who beat Hamilton to the title last year, is the third champion from a country a quarter of whose land area is inside the Arctic Circle. Raikkonen followed Mika Hakkinen - champion in 1998 and 99 - and the trailblazer Keke Rosberg, winner in 1982. That is the same number of champions as Brazil, which has a population 40 times bigger. Even the UK, with eight champions, is four times less successful than Finland given its size.

According to Kovalainen, Lehto and Salo, driving as fast as possible is a common Finnish rite of passage. "I bought cars worth maybe £50 with two or three friends and then drove around on the back roads," Salo says. "Not closed roads, but a dead end. We used friends to stop people coming the other way. I was probably 13. I only needed to go two kilometres from my house to find dirt roads where we could thrash the cars. A lot of people do that. You get really brave."

This would generally be on gravel roads, where cars slide more easily than on asphalt. But in Finland even the asphalt roads are covered in snow for much of the winter. And snow-mobiling - where the legendary Canadian Ferrari driver Gilles Villeneuve developed his skills - is a popular pastime. So the ability to control a motorised vehicle on the very edge of adhesion is a skill Finns have to develop early.

There is also less to distract boys in Finland from their speed thrills than there is in other countries. Football is not so heavily ingrained in the national culture and, while the main national sport is ice hockey, a huge number of kids from as young as six race go-karts - the motor sport in which most grand-prix drivers cut their teeth.

"Go-karting is very popular in Finland," says Lehto. "It has been since the '60s, and it's growing and growing. A lot of people have it as a hobby." At the same time, there is a reasonably well-developed motor sport infrastructure, so anyone who wants to take their racing to a level beyond leisure-oriented go-kart tracks can do so.

Nevertheless, Finland's small size and isolation have traditionally meant that aspiring racing drivers find it even more difficult to raise the huge sums of money required to pursue a career in motor racing than those elsewhere.

Despite the success of their countrymen, many Finns still do not view motor racing as a sport - a fact reflected last year when Raikkonen, the first Finn to win the drivers' title for eight years, was only third in a vote to establish the country's most popular sportsman, behind a javelin thrower and a cross-country skier who had previously been banned for taking performance-enhancing drugs.

Paradoxically that can be a help - the lack of support ensures the drivers who do make it on to the European ladder to formula one are those who possess the iron determination and commitment they will need to reach the top.

"I took out loans from family, from banks. I sold everything I had," says Salo. "I used to work during school time so I could buy a car for myself. I managed to pay for a season in Formula Ford. I took a risk because I knew I was good enough. Some people just don't have this will. The main thing is you need to like the sport so much that you will do all these things for it. I basically stopped living because I wanted to drive so much."

In this quest, Finns have one final advantage. "Our mentality is very good for racing - never give up," Salo says. "Very stubborn, jealous and selfish people. So you'd rather do well yourself than let somebody else do well."

That characteristic, which Lehto describes as "very hard-headed", goes hand-in-hand with another quality the teams prize most highly in their Finnish drivers - implacability and coolness. Raikkonen is known as the "ice man" for his extreme calm under pressure - a quality Hakkinen shared. And some of Rosberg's greatest victories came when difficult conditions induced mistakes in his rivals.

"It's not only F1," says Salo. "It's a similar thing with rallying [another sport in which Finns excel]. Everyone is very calm -

not a lot of mistakes. I don't know why it is, but I am the same. Emotional things don't affect what I do at all.

"It's pretty much normal here. Things like family stuff and so on are not close to us. During my time in F1 my grandfather and grandmother died, and I never even went to the funeral. It was not a big thing for me, and I believe it's the same here for everybody."

And now, after a quarter of a century of Finnish success, the conveyor belt has developed its own momentum.

"There isn't a day goes by," says Lehto, "when motor sport is not in the news in Finland. Having had three world champions, everyone thinks they can do it."

They cannot, of course. But there are, Salo says, "a few good ones coming through", who have the talent to make it all the way to the top. The Finnish success story in formula one, it seems, will just run and run.

And a last video, of a talented 8 year old boy from Finland!

OPEN DISCUSSION TO ALL ABOUT MOTORSPORTS AND CARS HERE!

SuomiKukka
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1095
Birthday : 2001-01-01
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Why we drive so darn good. Empty Re: Why we drive so darn good.

Post by Marksel Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:36 am

wtf @ the 8 year old boy in a car... insane
Marksel
Marksel
nD* Runner Member
nD* Runner Member

Male Number of posts : 3979
Birthday : 1992-02-01
Job/hobbies : Owning you!
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Necro Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:19 pm

My eyes burnt o.O

Marksel: Fernando Alonso began to drive when he was three o.O
You can see it if don't trust me
Necro
Necro
nD* Zombie Member
nD* Zombie Member

Male Number of posts : 3892
Birthday : 1924-02-27
Job/hobbies : Aww men I am a sciences freak!!
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Marksel Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:45 pm

those parents weren't very responsible for their kids then... o.O oh well seems like bad parenting can turn out good :O
Marksel
Marksel
nD* Runner Member
nD* Runner Member

Male Number of posts : 3979
Birthday : 1992-02-01
Job/hobbies : Owning you!
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Necro Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Marksel wrote:those parents weren't very responsible for their kids then... o.O oh well seems like bad parenting can turn out good :O

The kart which father made was for her older sister, but she didn't wanted it... and Fernando liked it so his father gave it to him ^^
Necro
Necro
nD* Zombie Member
nD* Zombie Member

Male Number of posts : 3892
Birthday : 1924-02-27
Job/hobbies : Aww men I am a sciences freak!!
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by hazik666 Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Lewis Hamilton has a story like that
When he was younger him and his friend were pro at go-karts and his friend would always beat him no matter what. But someone came along and asked if they both would like to drive Formula 1 cars, Lewis accepted his friend never. A couple years later Lewis Hamilton was famous because he was amazing and they found the friend of him in a McDonalds toilet dead because he overdosed on heroine
hazik666
hazik666
nD* Fun Member
nD* Fun Member

Male Number of posts : 4838
Birthday : 0672-12-27
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizurri Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:00 pm

hazik666 wrote:Lewis Hamilton has a story like that
When he was younger him and his friend were pro at go-karts and his friend would always beat him no matter what. But someone came along and asked if they both would like to drive Formula 1 cars, Lewis accepted his friend never. A couple years later Lewis Hamilton was famous because he was amazing and they found the friend of him in a McDonalds toilet dead because he overdosed on heroine

Rofl @ "they found the friend of him in a McDonalds toilet dead because he overdosed on heroine"
Mizurri
Mizurri
nD* Fun Member
nD* Fun Member

Male Number of posts : 5130
Birthday : 2006-06-06
Job/hobbies : Fulltime Gangster
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusGladius Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Amazing Kid! Smile
MagnusGladius
MagnusGladius
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1124
Birthday : 1986-01-06
Job/hobbies : Senior house / Football, gym and my lovely GF
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by KoD Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm

my F1 heroes were Barichello [ I even wrote his name wrong, I know ]. coulthard and hakinnen ^.^
KoD
KoD
nD* Fun Member
nD* Fun Member

Number of posts : 3513
Birthday : 1992-07-05
Job/hobbies : follow fat guys with a tuba
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by QuickSilver Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:20 pm

And here's me thinking this topic is about how girls can drive so darn well ^^
QuickSilver
QuickSilver
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2691
Birthday : 1957-02-06
Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by SultaN Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Chicks can also drive good (even though the rumors that they can not)

Why we drive so darn good. 1e64de13_parkeren
This girl pwnd that rumor Razz
SultaN
SultaN
nD* Jail Member
nD* Jail Member

Male Number of posts : 1732
Birthday : 1993-01-16
Job/hobbies : Basketball, Soccer, Gaming
Registration date : 2010-04-02

http://www.dutch-gs.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by LuminCoB Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:30 pm

I love it how you named the topic with the word 'we'.
Not every finnish person drives that amazingly.
Not every person either, I'm just saying just because you're finnish doesn't mean you're awesome.
Sure finnish people are dangerous when they're drunk and have a knife in their hand, they have great bands, many awesome sportcar-drivers.

Anyways, my favorite F1 driver, when I was younger, was Kimi Räikkönen.
He was pretty much awesome, imo.
LuminCoB
LuminCoB
nD* Fun Member
nD* Fun Member

Male Number of posts : 521
Birthday : 1990-05-04
Job/hobbies : Student
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Magicman Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Theres only one Michael SCHUMACHER.
Magicman
Magicman

Male Number of posts : 740
Birthday : 1996-08-09
Job/hobbies : CS, and hangout with friends.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamk0^ Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Magicman wrote:Theres only one Michael SCHUMACHER.

+1, when I was little I loved him, he was epic Very Happy
Lamk0^
Lamk0^
nD* Jail Member
nD* Jail Member

Male Number of posts : 1070
Birthday : 1996-02-14
Registration date : 2009-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post by KoD Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:21 am

Magicman wrote:Theres only one Michael SCHUMACHER.

He was back in the days, but his biggest mistake is come back to the F1, and make a complete fool out of himself.

Leave while your a F1 legend, but don´t come back and make a fool out of yourself after it xO
KoD
KoD
nD* Fun Member
nD* Fun Member

Number of posts : 3513
Birthday : 1992-07-05
Job/hobbies : follow fat guys with a tuba
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny Dancer Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:45 am

The Stig > All
Tiny Dancer
Tiny Dancer
nD* Fun Member
nD* Fun Member

Male Number of posts : 1099
Birthday : 1990-05-20
Job/hobbies : Planning the perfect murder
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by SuomiKukka Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 am