neonDragon.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fake mail from "STEAM"

+3
DarkNess
xReii
Florent
7 posters

Go down

Fake mail from "STEAM" Empty Fake mail from "STEAM"

Post by Florent Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:26 am

Hi people, I just want to warn you about mails you get from steam support, but its not from steam support, even if its look so originally. Ill show a picutre of it later. I entered that site and my computer got attacked from a lot of viruses and other shit, so now im on the other computer until my laptop are getting fixed again.
I got this mail 2 times in 3 days, and knew that it was something wrong, but I became curious anyway, so I checked the site, I saw imeediatly on URL that it was another site who ended .cz which may be from Czech Republic. But other people has also reported that it connects you to many other sites. For more details look at the picture!

The mail will look like this:
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img264/5...lnamecross.png

So open your eyes and good luck!
Florent
Florent

Male Number of posts : 424
Birthday : 1993-05-23
Job/hobbies : Haunting humans
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

Fake mail from "STEAM" Empty Re: Fake mail from "STEAM"

Post by Florent Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:27 am

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img264/5007/fakesteamemailnamecross.png

This is the mail, something wrong with the first one :S

PS:
That picture isnt from me, its from another guy who got it too, but he had already uploaded it so I took it from him, because the date of email is 1st Jan 2010. But I got it later and still people gets it.
Florent
Florent

Back to top Go down

Post by xReii Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:58 am

Try talking with Mackey , far as i know he is very professionist on this thing , he helped steam before founding the hack in a way that ur steam could be hacked so, be carefull hope your laptop gets well soon ? 8D

Very bad luck i also got this email but i just trash them since i know what kind of emails they are.
xReii
xReii
nD* Zombie Member
nD* Zombie Member

Number of posts : 560
Birthday : 1994-07-21
Job/hobbies : Work.... Cs , that's it. haha.
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Florent Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:11 am

xreii:
Thank you, but I got no problems to clean my computer, just reset whole computer, but then all my games and things will dissappear, som im transfering all to this computer, then I will reset my computer.

Florent
Florent

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkNess Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:13 am

Florent wrote:xreii:
Thank you, but I got no problems to clean my computer, just reset whole computer, but then all my games and things will dissappear, som im transfering all to this computer, then I will reset my computer.

Erhmm you do realise that you will also transfer the virus >_>?
DarkNess
DarkNess

Male Number of posts : 4591
Birthday : 1994-07-24
Job/hobbies : This is Serious.
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by xReii Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:23 am

DarkNess wrote:
Florent wrote:xreii:

Erhmm you do realise that you will also transfer the virus >_>?

+1 Florent just get a CD with windows7 and restore ur pc back together.
xReii
xReii
nD* Zombie Member
nD* Zombie Member

Number of posts : 560
Birthday : 1994-07-21
Job/hobbies : Work.... Cs , that's it. haha.
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Florent Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:39 am

Darkness, no it wont, because I will just transfer the games I have? And some photos and important files.

I got vista on my laptop and I can reset it with only one button I think its F7 before computer starts. Then u have alternatives of what should be removed from computer, and I want to do clean everything, thats recommended to do one time per 2 months, even if you dont have virus. But Ill be careful, thank you for reminding me Smile
Florent
Florent

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkNess Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:41 am

Florent wrote:Darkness, no it wont, because I will just transfer the games I have? And some photos and important files.

I got vista on my laptop and I can reset it with only one button I think its F7 before computer starts. Then u have alternatives of what should be removed from computer, and I want to do clean everything, thats recommended to do one time per 2 months, even if you dont have virus. But Ill be careful, thank you for reminding me Smile

At the moment that you connect anything to your computer, External HD or your laptop etc the virus will just spread and also infect the HD or computer.

But its your choice :p
DarkNess
DarkNess

Back to top Go down

Post by Marksel Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:02 am

You don't have to transfer anything if you opened the email.
Nothing can happen from simply opening an email. It's simply a phisher telling you to follow a link and log in, the link probably looks alot like the steam-powered.com site but will have a different URL.
Even going to that site should have no harm as long as you do not actually log in.
Marksel
Marksel
nD* Runner Member
nD* Runner Member

Male Number of posts : 3979
Birthday : 1992-02-01
Job/hobbies : Owning you!
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkNess Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:05 am

Marksel wrote:You don't have to transfer anything if you opened the email.
Nothing can happen from simply opening an email. It's simply a phisher telling you to follow a link and log in, the link probably looks alot like the steam-powered.com site but will have a different URL.
Even going to that site should have no harm as long as you do not actually log in.

Re-read his first post with care.
DarkNess
DarkNess

Back to top Go down

Post by Marksel Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:14 am

Phishers are pretty easy to spot aswell, I'll post a screenshot to show you how to spot them:

Here I have a pretty bad phisher that I got to hack my WoW account as example:
Fake mail from "STEAM" Phishe10

Another way to be sure you are not on a phisher site, is that sometimes official sites, usually to do with payments, have extra security, they have a digital 'tag' that shows in your URL bar, and it shows that the site is legitimate. This does not apply to Steampowered, but I thought I'd give u this tip anyway for other phishing attempts, or if you simply want to make sure you are on the right site when making a payment.
Fake mail from "STEAM" Phishe11
As you can see there is a green bar to the left of the URL, you can click on it for more information of the owners of the site if you want, but that isn't really needed, because such tags are impossible to phish.
Marksel
Marksel
nD* Runner Member
nD* Runner Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnold Schwarzenegger Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:15 am

What Mark said, as long as you dont log in they cant steal your account. Be wary of this kind of websites its very dangerous because they are infact thieves stealing your steam account
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Male Number of posts : 1340
Birthday : 1990-07-14
Job/hobbies : Building Computer Systems,Boxing,Fitness,Playing Videogames
Registration date : 2009-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Marksel Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:19 am

DarkNess wrote:

He must have done something else, or the viruses don't come from the source he thinks it comes from, because viruses need to be downloaded into your computer, and can't simply infect your computer by entering a site.
It is possible though to receive Ad-Aware that fakes virus warnings to make you unaware of other bad stuff on your computer, like keyloggers, which CAN be transferred through simply clicking a link. Keyloggers are easy to avoid though: I never ever actually type my passwords or usernames, I copypaste them from a wordpad file so that even if I do have a keylogger, it can't log my details.
(I would advice doing this to everyone atleast on important details such as online bank-account managing.)

Marksel
Marksel
nD* Runner Member
nD* Runner Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kLeiNeS biEsT Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:20 am

I received the same email, 2 times. but i never klick the link, cause i was unsure if it is "real"

Now i know ....
kLeiNeS biEsT
kLeiNeS biEsT
nD* Zombie Member
nD* Zombie Member

Female Number of posts : 377
Birthday : 1983-09-09
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by LuminCoB Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:32 am

Marksel wrote:
DarkNess wrote:

He must have done something else, or the viruses don't come from the source he thinks it comes from, because viruses need to be downloaded into your computer, and can't simply infect your computer by entering a site.
It is possible though to receive Ad-Aware that fakes virus warnings to make you unaware of other bad stuff on your computer, like keyloggers, which CAN be transferred through simply clicking a link. Keyloggers are easy to avoid though: I never ever actually type my passwords or usernames, I copypaste them from a wordpad file so that even if I do have a keylogger, it can't log my details.
(I would advice doing this to everyone atleast on important details such as online bank-account managing.)

There's actually keyloggers that can see what you're copying and pasting, so not even that is 100% safe.
LuminCoB
LuminCoB
nD* Fun Member
nD* Fun Member

Male Number of posts : 521
Birthday : 1990-05-04
Job/hobbies : Student
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Florent Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:21 pm

I opened the page, and saw that it took me to a URL ending with .cz Then I immediatly removed page by clicking on X. But I wasnt online on steam, I was on msn ? and I think facebook. But I dont know, the site didnt reload because I removed it fast, do I have the virus or?

Because as Darkness said, I dont want to install ALL my games from begining...
Florent
Florent

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkNess Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:55 am

Florent wrote:
I opened the page, and saw that it took me to a URL ending with .cz Then I immediatly removed page by clicking on X. But I wasnt online on steam, I was on msn ? and I think facebook. But I dont know, the site didnt reload because I removed it fast, do I have the virus or?

Because as Darkness said, I dont want to install ALL my games from begining...

Just entering a site wont give you a virus, unless the site has an automatic download function which you would probs notice.
If you do not notice anything weird about ur computer behaviour, (Random pop-ups, anti-virus sites not working) then your probs not infected.

Best thing to do is just run some scans, try using Malwarebytes (anti malware/spyware program).
DarkNess
DarkNess

Back to top Go down

Post by Florent Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:18 am

Thank you Darkness, Ill try. But I havent seen anything strange with my laptop, that I use right now. Everything is normal , or are like it was before I entered the site. But I will make a scan. Thank you
Florent
Florent

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkNess Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:19 am

Florent wrote:Thank you Darkness, Ill try. But I havent seen anything strange with my laptop, that I use right now. Everything is normal , or are like it was before I entered the site. But I will make a scan. Thank you

But ur sure your other computer (the one you opend the link with) is infected?
DarkNess
DarkNess

Back to top Go down

Post by Florent Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:08 am

No Darkness, im not sure, I was suspecting, because I have seen other viruses earlier as fast you open the link your computer get infected. But I dont see anything wrong with mine computer, I thought that ur computer gets infected imediatly as fast u open the link.
Florent
Florent

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkNess Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:10 am

Florent wrote:No Darkness, im not sure, I was suspecting, because I have seen other viruses earlier as fast you open the link your computer get infected. But I dont see anything wrong with mine computer, I thought that ur computer gets infected imediatly as fast u open the link.

Dont think so, just run some scans :p
DarkNess
DarkNess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down