neonDragon.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make maps available via forum/website

+3
Smile
uhu
K!ng
7 posters

Go down

Make maps available via forum/website Empty Make maps available via forum/website

Post by K!ng Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:54 pm

What?
Make all the maps of the mapcycles all the nD-server downloadable from the forum or other website. A section or website where you find easily the map you're looking. Search on server and search on the name of the map. Most important are the "special" maps which aren't easy (or impossible) to find on the internet (like jail-maps, fun-maps and zombie-maps).
And of course attach all the necessary files to the downloads (like WAD-files and sounds).

Why?
  • When you join a server and need to download a map, it can take a while to download the map depending on your connection speed. Download maps from the internet is a much faster option than download it via Counter-Strike/Steam, especially when you also need to download a lot of WAD-files or sounds.
  • You can't watch demo's (which are posted on the forum) if you don't possess the map where the demo is made. I just tried to review a demo which a player made in a certain map from the mapcycle of JB, but I wasn't able to watch the demo since I never played that map and therefore don't have the right BSP-file (maps are BSP-files).

Is such an option possible, or is this impossible because all the maps together will be too much data to offer as a download?

K!ng

Male Number of posts : 175
Birthday : 1988-04-17
Registration date : 2009-09-22

Back to top Go down

Make maps available via forum/website Empty Re: Make maps available via forum/website

Post by uhu Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:06 pm

If this goes forward all the nD exclusive maps will be shed to the web even more easily. Wich kinda sucks.
uhu
uhu

Male Number of posts : 163
Birthday : 1666-08-14
Job/hobbies : survive
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Back to top Go down

Make maps available via forum/website Empty Re: Make maps available via forum/website

Post by Smile Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Wow.. King, I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today o.O
I would also like to have them available, since sometimes a map
can take up to 20min for me (dunno why) to download, kinda sucks..
Smile
Smile

Male Number of posts : 1829
Birthday : 1992-08-07
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchpoodle Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Sounds like a good idea.
Although it may cause some nuisance because people might get confused of where to put there downloaded files.
(im not saying everyone but maybe a few will)

Also i must question if this will have an effect on the upload limit of the website provider (More uploads = more cost)

Frenchpoodle

Male Number of posts : 30
Birthday : 1992-03-12
Job/hobbies : Student Paramedic -
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by K!ng Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:23 pm

uhu wrote:If this goes forward all the nD exclusive maps will be shed to the web even more easily. Wich kinda sucks.

Hmm...didn't think of that problem, I have to confess. But is this really a problem?
Not sure if there are people out there who want to "steal" maps from neonDragon, but let's assume they exist.I f there are people who are after the maps of neonDragon badly, it's not that hard to get them. Just join the server and keep in the server untill you have all the maps. People who wanted these maps would have done this. So I think this isn't a real problem, since "stealing" maps from neonDragon (and every server) is already possible and not that hard to accomplish.

But if you still think this is a big problem; the maps can always be protected with passwords or only accessible by members of the community or regular players or maybe some special settings someone can gain by proofing not to use the maps for making his/her own server...

K!ng

Back to top Go down

Post by K!ng Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Frenchpoodle wrote:Sounds like a good idea.
Although it may cause some nuisance because people might get confused of where to put there downloaded files.
(im not saying everyone but maybe a few will)

A well written guide made as sticky can solve this problem very easily.

Frenchpoodle wrote:Also i must question if this will have an effect on the upload limit of the website provider (More uploads = more cost)

This forum is a free forum (by Forumotion). So there are currently no costs. Although I'm not sure about [url]neonDragon.net[/url]. It seems to be some kind of portal with links to different websites, so I guess the costs there are only the rent of the domain name (not sure why this domain name is needed for neonDragon, but ok).
But like I just said, this forum is a free forum, build with Forumotion. That's why I also question the fact about the possibility to offer such an amount of data; think it's not possible on this forum, unless someone has found a stable upload-website where files are an infinite times downloadable and will never be erased...

K!ng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:39 pm

I love this idea, it takes ages for me to download maps from cs no clue why but this would be wonderful you have, good idea king Smile
Sarah
Sarah
nD* Jail Member
nD* Jail Member

Female Number of posts : 242
Birthday : 1989-10-15
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by SuomiKukka Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:27 pm

uhu wrote:If this goes forward all the nD exclusive maps will be shed to the web even more easily. Wich kinda sucks.

Internet was developed to share information and data...

SuomiKukka
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 1095
Birthday : 2001-01-01
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mati Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:51 pm

neonDragon actually runs a webserver from which all cstrike data is accessible. Normally you should download all the data very fast (I actually do download everything within few seconds), because it's downloaded via the webserver.

When you're missing some stuff you usually find everything via google as well, by searching for the full filename with quotes (e.g. "jailbreak_final_1.bsp").
Mati
Mati
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 876
Birthday : 1991-06-02
Registration date : 2009-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down